Re: Why did libffi change it's soname?

There is no other change mentioned which would rectify a change of the
soname of the library. Was this done intentionally? When exactly did
the ABI change?

Never. Andreas took care of completing, posting and checking in my patch that converted libffi to Autoconf 2.5x. My patch was very preliminary (as in, I only checked that it bootstrapped on i686-pc-linux-gnu), and he did not check as well the soname.

Currently libffi is the only library using 'libtool --release' to
determine the soname of the shared library.

And that's completely wrong.

It probably went undetected because libjava uses a convenience library to link with libtool.

Paolo