Re: Notes from the version control BOF at the summit

* Ian Lance Taylor:

> For accidental repository corruption, we have backups.  For deliberate
> repository corruption, digital signatures don't help, except to pin
> down precisely who did it.

The general belief is that developer machines are secure, while the
repository server is insecure.  The primary cause for that belief is
that so far, we have no publicly documented case in which a developer
machine was compromised, but several high-profile cases which involve
repositories or distribution sites.

However, digital signatures (if done right) can aid in recovery from a
break-in, but so can a good, multi-generation backup.

--
Current mail filters: many dial-up/DSL/cable modem hosts, and the
following domains: bigpond.com, di-ve.com, fuorissimo.com, hotmail.com,