Re: Criteria for GCC 4.0

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 06:02:26PM -0400, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
> Joe Buck wrote:
> > But "an esoteric frontend to GCC" is not something that the bulk of users
> > are crying out for either.  SuSE funded a lot of work on improving gcc for
> > x86-64, which is something that a lot of users I know are quite happy
> > about.
>
> Of course, SuSE also expected to sell copies of the x86_64
> distribution... again, nothing wrong with that, just a fact. Even when
> someone like me uses a different x86_64 distro, SuSE gains, since I
> recommend their distro for some of my customers.

But you originally said that the dominance of the vendors meant that 90%
of the users aren't being served, or something to that effect.  In this
case, there was a confluence of interests: people on a budget who are
hampered by the 32-bit address space are looking eagerly at Opteron as
potentially the cheapest 64-bit computing out there, and the existing
"system" delivered.

I won't deny that there are some things that would be nice, that haven't
been done because no developer is interested.  But it would help if you
were more specific about what isn't getting done.  So far you have
identified documentation.