Re: Criteria for GCC 4.0

Joe Buck wrote:
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to Ottawa.  If I had my
"druthers", it would be 4.0, and possibly we'd slip the schedule to help
make sure that we get the quality up enough to make a real splash.

Well, at least I'm not the only one who won't be in Ottawa!

I also would like to see "a real splash" -- not for the sake of disturbing the waters, but for the purpose of making GCC a better set of tools. On my wish list:

1) Vastly improved documentation, in almost all areas

2) Faster compiles

3) Integration of OpenMP for parallel work

I'm still working on an internal design document for the later, while hunting up some funding. In my opinion, the age of parallel systems is upon us -- multicore processors being just one new area coming down the road. Taking advantage of that means having compilers that do the job -- and right now, the only choices are commercial compilers.

..Scott

--
Scott Robert Ladd