Re: tree to rtl conversion optimizations

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Johnny Huynh wrote:

> Sorry if this sounds like a simple question, but I'm not too good at
> tracing through all the source yet. During the conversion from tree to
> RTL, there seems to be an optimizing step that determines whether
> operands should be placed (-O0) in memory and accessed via an offset, or
> (-O2) simply placed in registers.
>
> I'd like to know where I can find the code thats making this happen.

I might as well ask this now; Would it be possible to prevent variables
from being placed in registers but still continue to compile using all
other optimizations? I'd assume that many optimization may no longer be as
effective, but would it actually break anything?

The reason I'd like to do this is that I want to generate code that
uses a minimal number of registers (but retain all other relevant
optimizations) so that I can play with the placements of variables in
memory.

Thanks,
Johnny