Re: MS/CW-style inline assembly for GCC

Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> writes:

> Well, with this description it would seem that you could directly
> convert CW asms into GCC asms, and thus you would have no impact
> on anything outside the parser.  With that as a premise, I have no
> objection (as a backend guy) to CW support being added to the FSF
> compiler.

If it is really true that only the parser would have to change, then
it seems to me that CW asm could be converted into gcc asm using a
separate tool which simply rewrote the file.  It would have to do
simple C/C++ parsing, but I think not full parsing.  Such a tool would
be useful as a conversion aid, and with some specs hackery could also
be invoked directly by the Darwin compiler.

Ian