Re: Branch for factoring?

Gábor Lóki wrote:
My question is, whether it is a good idea to start a development branch
for this work? How can it be arranged? Is there a need of cvs write
access? (Our copyright assignment has been filed).

Yes, you must have cvs write access. Otherwise, there is no way for you to create a branch and add patches to it.

Our policies for when it is OK to create branches are not well defined. Our docs just mention the mechanics, and don't mention policy at all.
http://gcc.gnu.org/cvswrite.html#branches

Branches can be useful if there is general interest in a patch, as it makes it easier for people at different places to collaberate. This seems to be primarily a U Szeged project, and there don't seem to be any collaberators outside U Szeged.

Branches can be useful if the patches are large and invasive and need to be maintained for a long time, which does not seem to be the case with your patches at this time.

There is also the issue of whether it is OK to give someone write access just so they can create a branch. I don't think this is good policy. I think someone should establish themselves as a regular contributor before they should consider making branches. I am speaking for myself here, and it is possible others will disagree.

There are other solutions here. You can create your own CVS repository that mirrors the FSF one. You could maintain the work as patches.