Re: [gfortran] Exponentiation by integral exponents

On Apr 27, 2004, at 17:14, Tobias Schlüter wrote:

FYI I have ported Andy's code for exponentiation by an integral exponent to our tree. This is an implementation of Knuth's algorithm which uses the minimum number of multiplications for exponents < 100. As an additional bonus there's no more need to special case an exponent of three, the optimal code is generated automatically. I'll submit this once my copyright assignment is handled.

Does anybody have any insight on how to write testcases for this?

You should not need it if you use __builtin_pow and you turn on
flag_unsafe_math_optimizations on. Maybe the best way is to have another flag
to say expand __builtin_pow always.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski