Re: GCC 4.0 vs. 3.5

So, if we're switching to 4.0 it should be because the code we generate
is far better.  Not that some code is slightly better, or that we have
the infrastructure we need to generate far better code -- but that much
actual code is actually far better.

I disagree with this position. Yes, there are some users for whom performance is critical, but for most users this is secondary to reliability and stability (that is, a fast unstable version is not an attractive substitute).

One purpose of a major version number is indeed to alert people to
new features, which can include better code, but is certainly not
limited to this particular improvement.

The second purpose is to alert users to a major change of technology
that may impact stability. In this case, it is that second issue that
is most relevant.