Disable g++/libstdc++-v3 on AIX for 3.4?

Hi David,

I realise that its probably a controversial issue, but have you
given any thought to disabling the build of libstdc++-v3 on
AIX 5.1 and 5.2 for the upcoming gcc 3.4.0 release?

I've locally tested the 3.4.0 release candidate on several
platforms and the only one that I've encountered problems with
is powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0.0.  The problem being the assembler
hang related to APAR IY53606 as described in the installation
notes.

I notice that, however, that at this time IBM still hasn't
released a fix for APAR IY53606, meaning that all attempts
to build a default gcc-3.4 on powerpc-ibm-aix5* will fail,
which is less that ideal for a 3.4 primary evaluation platform.

I've also confirmed the advice in the installation guide about
not using GNU as from binutils.  Although the compiler bootstraps,
the very poor g++ testsuite results reveals that some critical
functionality (exception handling or link.once?) isn't working.

One alternative is to disable libstdc++-v3 and perhaps g++ by
default on this target triplet.  A better solution might be to
add a configure test to check for an unpatched assembler, and
only enable C++ if the "to-be-released" patch has been applied.
Given the lack of a workaround, its difficult to confirm that
gcc-3.4.0 will bootstrap on AIX (due to other problems) even with
the APAR fix installed.

Roger