Re: builtin_apply et al

Nicola Pero wrote:

I can see that the builtin_apply *might* be useful somewhere, but is it
really being used beyond test cases?

Dare I suggest deprecating this 'feature'? (rather than fixing it)

The consensus among the few who've thought about this is that
yes, it should flushed from libobjc and then officially deprecated.

Hmmm. :-)

Yes/maybe ... but what are you suggesting to replace it with ?

Some sort of reliable and portable mechanism must be provided by the
compiler (or by compiler libraries) to replace it, because the Objective-C
libraries do need a way to do such stuff.

I've been told in the past it should be replaced with libffi - the main
problem there is ... how much reliable and portable is libffi ?

Needed for Java, so gets regular attention for that reason, and has
platform specific code for lots of platforms. Libffi could be thought
of as an implementation of builtin_apply.

ObjC needs a certain amount of visibility into C calling conventions to do its thing, but it's tricky to generalize and not many hackers work on libobjc (the NeXT/Apple runtime mostly does it with assembly code, and is thus not very portable).

Not sure what your point is here.

Just calibrating expectations - it may be a while before builtin_apply
can go away.

Stan