re: Spurious testsuite failures

Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
I'm getting lots of testsuite failures on sparc-sun-solaris. However,
these failures don't seem to be consistent over testsuit runs. I ran
the g++ testsuite twice in a row (with the same compiler!) once with 119
failures and a second time with only 50 failures. Closer inspection shows
that only 8 failures are common between the two consecutive runs.

From looking at the testsuite log it seems that some error messages don't
make it to the log. All of the suprious failures are either
"test for error/warning" or "test for excess errors" The latter happens
if previous error message were missed and the compiler still exits with
a nonzero exit status.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? DejaGNU-Version is 1.4.1.

Yes. You're running into http://gcc.gnu.org/PR12096 It's a bug in expect. I have a copy of the fix at http://kegel.com/crosstool/current/patches/expect-5.39/pr12096.patch

For what it's worth, here's a script I wrote that creates a good
copy of expect/tcl/dejagnu from source (assuming you have that
patch in the right place).  Untested.  (I also have a patch for dejagnu
and tcl each, but you probably don't need 'em.)
- Dan

#!/bin/sh
# Compile local copies of expect, dejagnu, and distcc
# for use by crosstool

set -ex

abort() {
        echo $@
        exec false
}

test -z "${RESULT_TOP}"       && abort "Please set RESULT_TOP to the top of the crosstool tree"
test -z "${TARBALLS_DIR}"     && abort "Please set TARBALLS_DIR to the directory to download tarballs to."

#----- Tcl -----
TCL=tcl8.4.5
TCLDIR=tcl8.4.5
# !$1#$@!& sourceforge.net doesn't support wget -c ?!
if test ! -f $TARBALLS_DIR/$TCL-src.tar.gz ; then
    wget -P $TARBALLS_DIR http://unc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/tcl/$TCL-src.tar.gz
fi
rm -rf $TCLDIR
tar -xzvf $TARBALLS_DIR/$TCL-src.tar.gz
cd $TCLDIR
for a in ../../patches/$TCL/*.patch; do
    if test -f $a; then
        patch -g0 -p1 < $a
    fi
done
cd unix
./configure --prefix=$PREFIX
make
make install
cd ../..

#----- Expect -----
EXPECT=expect-5.39.0
EXPECTDIR=expect-5.39
wget -P $TARBALLS_DIR -c http://expect.nist.gov/old/$EXPECT.tar.gz
rm -rf $EXPECTDIR
tar -xzvf $TARBALLS_DIR/$EXPECT.tar.gz
cd $EXPECTDIR
for a in ../../patches/$EXPECT/*.patch; do
    if test -f $a; then
        patch -g0 -p1 < $a
    fi
done
./configure --prefix=$PREFIX
make
make install
cd ..

#----- Dejagnu -----
DEJAGNU=dejagnu-1.4.3
wget -P $TARBALLS_DIR -c http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/gnu/dejagnu/$DEJAGNU.tar.gz
rm -rf $DEJAGNU
tar -xzvf $TARBALLS_DIR/$DEJAGNU.tar.gz
cd $DEJAGNU
for a in ../../patches/$DEJAGNU/*.patch; do
    if test -f $a; then
        patch -g0 -p1 < $a
    fi
done