Re: bugzilla voting

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Scott Robert Ladd <coyote@coyotegulch.com> writes:

That sentiment would be an argument against enabling voting.  I
certainly would not want to give assurances any stronger than that I
just *might* take votes into account occasionally.

If that is your attitude, and it reflects the attitude of other primary GCC developers, then voting or lobbying are indeed meaningless.

Speaking as someone who actually does fix random PRs, I think voting would be useful. As everyone else has said, it obviously would not be any sort of guarantee.

I much appreciate people such as yourself; I wish I had more time to work on GCC myself, beyond my own paltry efforts on OpenMP and gfortran.

The value of voting directly corresponds to the amount of influence it has -- as per the last U.S. Presidential election, where the popular vote was overridden by judicial fiat. If people vote for bugs, they will quickly become disillusioned by Per's "*might* take votes into account occasionally" viewpoint.

Please note that I am not criticizing Pers! A purely democratic approach won't work, either, as under such, the only bugs that would get fixed are those for very popular platforms. A system of checks and bal;ances would be needed to free developers from absolute dictates while also assuring voters that their votes mean something. Tricky.

Right now my random PR fixing is driven mainly by the list of PRs
reported against 3.4.0 (there are only five remaining 3.4.0 PRs in the
search which I use; right now I'm slowly poking at PR 14400).

I'm only working in the 3.5 (tree-ssa) branch, given that OpenMP and gfortran reside there. I've got a couple of patches waiting to go in as soon as tree-ssa merges...

--
Scott Robert Ladd