RE: problems with subversions.gcc.org

  Like not existing ?

$ host -v -t any subversions.gcc.org.

Host not found.
rcode = 3 (Non-existent domain), ancount=0
$

  You mean subversions.gnu.org.  That's probably what you had anyway, or CVS
would have complained it couldn't find the hostname.  However, in the last
year, the access method has changed: pserver has been disabled, you have to
use ssh access.  Check out

http://gcc.gnu.org/cvs.html

for details of the new procedures.

  Alternatively, I experienced a similar phenomenon with sources.redhat.com
earlier today.  By about the third or fourth try I decided to just leave it
for as long as it took.  It turned out that I just wasn't waiting long
enough before deciding it had failed:  after about five or ten minutes of
being seemingly stalled and no network traffic arriving, my update continued
and completed successfully.  I think it's an aspect of the behaviour of CVS
under heavy load, that users will experience long pauses.

    cheers,
      DaveK