Re: Clarification Req: Regarding "memory" clobber for cache operation is required (?)

 Ashok> Hello Paul, Thanks for your response!

 Ashok> I am not clear about the statement "you can't make use of
 Ashok> operands to asm that aren't actually used in the asm text". As
 Ashok> you said, I have gone through the thread about "locking
 Ashok> problem with mips atomicity".

 Ashok> ...If we remove the *unused* constraint '"=m" (*c)' in the above
 Ashok> example, GCC generates wrong assembly.  It proves that "unused
 Ashok> constraint is also significant" in inline asm.

I'm just passing along what we were told in that previous discussion.
It may be that it makes a difference today when you include an unused
constraint -- but if so, that's apparently accidental.  The claim was
made that you should NOT rely on this.

     paul