unobsoleting m88k

I recently obtained a Data General AViiON AV 5500 and I would like to
revive gcc support for it.  I am willing to be the maintainer for it.  I
am a little confused as to the best place to start though.  Does anyone
know the most recent version of gcc where it wasn't considered buggy?  Do
I want to start with gcc-3.2.3, or the current CVS tree, or an interim
release?

I've tried 2.8.1, 2.95.3 and 3.2.3 and have run into various build errors
on all of them.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jason