Re: [Bug pch/14400] Cannot compile qt-x11-free-3.3.0

"geoffk at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc-bugzilla@gcc.gnu.org> writes:

> I believe I saw this on Darwin before implementing the scheme it uses now.  I don't believe there's any
> solution to the general problem that doesn't know more about the host's memory map; the current
> generic solution is just a heuristic and is not reliable.  For reliable operation, *especially* on x86-linux-
> gnu, I recommend implementing a solution like Darwin's.  That would also fix 14206.

PR 14206 is fixed on mainline by RTH's patch.  For 3.4 I put in a doc
fix.

> This is not a problem that you can solve with a 'quick fix'.

Perhaps for 3.4 we should disable PCH for any target other than
Darwin.  It seems to me that it is a bad idea to include an unreliable
feature.  It's particularly unfortunate that it causes gcc 3.4 to fail
to build a popular package (qt-x11-free) on a popular platform
(GNU/Linux).  It's even more unfortunate that the failure currently
shows up as a random compiler crash.

I will investigate further on mainline.

Ian