Re: GCC-3.3.4 release status report

>On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 11:09:52AM +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
>>   The number of open PRs targetted for 3.3.4 has grown up to 46
>> (from 41 last report).
>
> That is a *huge* number of bugs to attempt to fix in the fourth point
> release; an attempt to fix even half that number will probably result in
> 3.3.4 being less stable than 3.3.3.

Indeed. My feeling is that way too many patches are going into 3.3.4 without
any analysis as to the risk of them. We already have some regressions with
respect to previous 3.3.x releases due to this. See for example PR 14640.

I personally think that it is not a huge problem if we don't fix every single
PR in 3.3.4 given that 3.4.0 is close. In fact, I find it a nuisance to have
to look at all the PRs targeted for 3.3.x if I want to find out what needs to
be done for 3.4. We should be more willing to retire PRs if they are already
fixed in 3.4.

W.

Wolfgang Bangerth              email:            bangerth@ices.utexas.edu
                               www: http://www.ices.utexas.edu/~bangerth/