Re: LNO Branch merge proposal

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 16:32, David Edelsohn wrote:

> 	High-level loop optimizations and auto-vectorization are not
> enabled by default in most compilers.  We are trying to improve GCC
> performance on benchmarks, but we are not trying to transform GCC into a
> benchmark compiler when invoked under normal operating conditions.

The basic loop stuff we do at -O2 should trigger by default.  That will
exercise the basic framework.

> 	What technology previews in GCC with long-term commitments of
> support for developers have been abandoned?

-fssa has been abandoned.  -fnew-ra is limping along.

> 	Many GCC developers have been looking for increased contribution
> of technology to GCC.  It would be a shame to discourage those efforts and
> pass up an opportunity.

Don't be so melodramatic.  Tree SSA thrived inside a branch and nobody
felt discouraged because of it.  On the contrary.

I am not opposed to merging LNO.  Get that straight.  I just want to
make sure we don't trip over in our haste to bring everything together.
Doing it in stages like Richard suggested seems to me like a good idea.

Diego.