powerpc-*-elf versus powerpc-*-eabi

Is there any significant difference between the powerpc-*-elf &
powerpc-*-eabi targets?

Searching around I found this -
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2000-01/msg00784.html

Is there any major advantage to using the eabi target for an embedded
system? I could see relocatable code being useful but does anyone know what
the trade offs are?

That message also mentions the use of a __main function which is also
confusing me a little. Currently I'm using a crt0 which has calls to _init &
_fini around the call to main as I've seen in the crt0 source provided with
newlib. What exactly is the accepted way to perform global constructor
initialisation? Under what circumstances should a call to __main be inserted
in the main function? Is there something wrong with my build if this call is
not being inserted?

Dave