Re: GCC viciously beaten by ICC in trig test!

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

The primary reasons we're using the mojority of __builtin_xxx stuff in
V3 is precisely because we don't have control over the C library so we
use those in the hope that the compiler will forward them to the "right"
functions. The optimization argument is secondary. The use of
__builtin_expect() is largely (early) optimization based on speculation and
could be removed without damaging the library. __builtin_alloca is
used as a *convienient* allocation routine on the stack. It could be
replaced with malloc/free pair. (I don't suggest that though).

Thanks for explaining those points.

In my previous message, however, I forgot one important extension and you are
the best person to shed light on it: extern template. What's that? Could we
renounce to it?

Paolo.