Re: IMA vs tree-ssa

Dale Johannesen wrote:

This bit seems to be working, but doesn't solve the entire problem by any means.
The tree-based aliasing and structure-scalarizing code also think there's only
one copy of a struct type node, and work off pointers. There may be more places
I haven't found yet; can you think of any? (Most of the SPEC failures seem to be
due to aliasing; it thinks different copies of a struct from different files do not
alias, when in fact they do. This breaks lots of things.)

I believe that we should not hold up the tree-ssa merge for IMA.

Instead, we should just let IMA be broken for a while.

It's a new feature, not one that people have gotten used to at this point. It's a valuable optimization, but it's a problem, we should move on without it and then add it back later.

That's my opinion, not an official SC position by any means.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC