Re: Lazy allocation of DECL_ASSEMBLER_NAME

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> >Just to be clear, this is not a problem with IMA, this is a problem with
> >doing it at the source level.
> >
> I completely agree.  In GCC, the current IMA stuff is sort-of halfway
> in-between.  The representation we use is basically at the source level,
> but, as Geoff mentions, we don't quite fully squish everything together
> into one translation unit.  So, it's pretty similar to C, but if there
> were a source language for this representation, it would also have some
> kind of "module" construct.

It is also worth considering how support for Java, Fortran, Ada, ... will
be effected by the IMA work in general.  If you really want to do IMA, it
will be important to *nail down* exactly what the representation looks
like.

-Chris

--
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/