Re: using distcc to speed up GCC bootstraps

On Feb 18, 2004, law@redhat.com wrote:

> Any thoughts on using distcc to distribute the builds of the java runtime?

Well, we do distribute the C++ bits, but since Java isn't suitable for
preprocessing, distcc can't do much about it.  In the particular case
of GCC bootstrapping, the additional requirements of having the build
tree visible on all build machines could enable us to do something
about it, but it would definitely be a hack on top of distcc.

> It doesn't seem that conceptually difficult.  However, I've got no idea if
> it would actually be beneficial.

Depends a lot on the overhead introduced by the equivalent of
preprocessing and the size of the file that has to be shipped to the
remote compilers.  It would surely be nice, but I don't have any plans
towards this goal.

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}