Re: LIBGCC_SPEC

On Feb 17, 2004, at 3:31 PM, Jim Wilson wrote:

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 15:05, Matt Austern wrote:
As Geoff said, I don't believe the "target independent" part. The
munging encodes specific library names and the way they correspond to
specific options. There are even comments in gcc.c saying that some of
this is just guesswork and that it's probably wrong on some targets.

I still haven't seen an explanation of why this is wrong for darwin.
You need to explain what you want to do which the code does not already
do, or which the code does wrong. Otherwise, all of this is so abstract
that I can't understand your problem.

In the case of Darwin, the biggest problem is that -static and -static-libgcc need to do completely different things.

Yes, this could be fixed by making init_gcc_spec more
complicated and making it know about Darwin's special
needs.  But gcc.c is not where target-specific knowledge
should reside.  The "target independent" logic for choosing
libraries based on the settings of flags just isn't as target
independent as it might have seemed.

--Matt