Re: -shared-libgcc vs -static-libgcc

On Feb 13, 2004, at 11:48 AM, Zack Weinberg wrote:

Matt Austern <austern@apple.com> writes:

Here's what the documentation says about -shared-libgcc and
-static-libgcc:
"On systems that provide @file{libgcc} as a shared library, these
options force the use of either the shared or static version
respectively. If no shared version of @file{libgcc} was built when the
compiler was configured, these options have no effect."

Or to put it differently: shared-libgcc versus static-libgcc is a
binary choice.  In some cases shared-libgcc is the default and in
other cases static-libgcc is the default.  We must have either
shared-libgcc or static-gcc; it makes no sense to be neither, and it
makes no sense to be both.

The reason I'm harping on this: if you accept my paraphrase, then I
don't see why we have two switches instead of one.  One switch is a
binary choice between two alternatives.

Huh? The two options are each other's negation. I don't think there is any -no-shared-libgcc or -no-static-libgcc option, which is the only construal of what you're saying that makes any sense that I can think of.

That's basically what I was hinting, yes: that this was a case where
it would make more sense to have a single flag with a -no-* option,
which is what we normally do if we're making a choice between
"do this", "don't do this", and "do this or not, whatever is the default".

But that's mostly a nitpick.  Mostly I just wanted to confirm that I
was right, that either we've got shared-libgcc or we don't, and that
I don't have to worry about weird corner cases where we might
have both or neither.

--Matt