Re: compiler performance

Robert Dewar wrote:
> We often find that in situations like this, people
> just use default options out of the box, and since
-O0
> is the default and pretty horrible, and many other
> compilers optimize by default, gcc is often at a
> disadvantage in such naive benchmarking.

Unfortunately (for us), that's not true in this case.
See the second page:

"C: compiled with gcc -march=pentium4 -msse2
-mfpmath=sse -O3 -s -mno-cygwin to optimize for my
CPU, enable SSE2 extensions for as many math
operations as possible, and link to Windows libraries
instead of Cygwin libraries."

Doubtless it would look even worse were they to use
Intel's compiler...

Dara