Re: A problem with aligment attribute

Jim Wilson wrote:

We could perhaps emit a warning if someone tries to use an aligned type in an argument list, and the aligned type requires greater alignment than the ABI will give. I don't think we should be changing ABIs to make this work.

This sounds too messed up to be workable. We really need to have a clearer view of alignment throughout gcc. An ABI that does not support a specifiable alignment means that either alignment specification is broken, or the ABI is broken. One of them needs fixing. Note that it does not violate an ABI to ensure greater alignment than the ABI requires!