Re: What to remove after tree-ssa is merged?

On Feb 5, 2004, at 00:32, Richard Henderson wrote:

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 04:11:45PM -0500, Richard Kenner wrote:
I'm not convinced that WITH_RECORD_EXPR needs to be there.

It doesn't *need* to be there, but we have other GENERIC nodes that we don't *need* either, and which we lower to simpler nodes during gimplification.

Still there is the issue of the P_E, which I think should be resolved in some way before tree-ssa is integrated. With "resolved' I mean here the general path that should be followed for replacement. A clear description or specification in terms of GENERIC or GIMPLE functionality would suffice here, instead of an actual implementation.

Robert or Richard, could you give a very concise Ada example
that shows why P_E is needed and how it is used? This should be
an example that shows why simple expansion wouldn't be satisfactory.
View this as a challenge to represent in GIMPLE.

If we can agree on this in sufficiently generic terms (no pun
intended) then we can worry later about how to implement this
functionality exactly.

-Geert