Re: C Code mutilation by using gcc-3.3.x

Hello,

I write this email not by accident.

This is good. Personally, I email people accidently all the time.
I'm just sitting around, hacking on gcc, i start a compile, and boom, i've accidently emailed someone about the weather in Paris.

How to make and load a Driver module (UP/SMP) for FastTrak

1.) Make sure you have linux kernel source code in /usr/src/linux,
    and the gcc version is 3.x by issuing the command -
    # gcc -v

When trying to compile this driver source with gcc-2.95.3 instead
of gcc-3.3.1 , i get the following results :

So let me get this one straight:
The directions say to use version 3+, and show you how to verify that you have version 3 as step 1.
You note that you do not have version 3, as required by step 1, but decide to proceded anyway.
Compiling with not version 3 fails miserably.
You act surprised.

Whats going on here?

You aren't following their directions, and when it fails to work, you are complaining about it?
I don't get it either.
How in earth could the Free Software Foundation and the GCC Team allowed this
to happen?

In earth?
It didn't happen in earth, it happened on earth.
And even that's not quite true.
This is really because of people from another planet, who designed C (Hi Dennis!).

In the future, we'll be happy to address your problems if you, say, file a bug report according to the bug reporting directions, instead of say, randomly ranting on gcc mailing lists copying irrelevant people (Note that i can do this, since i'm not trying to report what i think to be a bug).

--Dan