Re: C99 usage in gcc

Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk> writes:

> Zack Weinberg wrote:-
>
>> Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk> writes:
>>
>> > In 3.4 we permit the unmatched ' because of many complaints, so
>> > perhaps we should conditionalize the // warnings on !skipping.
>> > I'd be OK with that.
>>
>> I'd be OK with that too.  I can think of cases where the meaning of
>> the program silently changes but they're all pretty pathological.
>
> With my proposal we're only changing the issuance of a diagnostic,
> not semantics.

I'm clearly not explaining this right.

Whether or not // comments are removed in skipped conditional blocks
can affect the meaning of the program, but only under pathological
conditions: for instance

#if 0
// oops \
#endif

The warning doesn't try to detect those; it just triggers for any
occurrence of "//" in the source code.  By silencing this warning
we *may* fail to issue any diagnostics in such cases.  (There are
other warnings that may trigger instead.)  However, since this is
not a problem for normal code, I think this is fine.

zw