Re: When are we going to remove deprecated ports?

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Mark Mitchell wrote:
>>> When are we going to remove ports deprecated in 3.4.0?  Anytime?  Or
>>> shortly after 3.4.0 is released so people will see what will be
>>> removed?
>> In the past it has always been done shortly after 3.x.0.
> True -- but I see no reason to wait.  If the port has been deprecated in
> 3.4.x, we can just remove it now.  That goes for other deprecated
> things, like deprecated language extensions, too.

I suppose the idea of only removing deprecated backends and extensions
after the release of 3.x.0 was to give the community more chance to react
(and, for example, a company or volunteer to step up as maintainer).

On the other hand, everything is in CVS an can be reverted, it's just
`cvs annotate` that will be lost in such a case.

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald@pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/