Re: "Documentation by paper"

On Jan 27, 2004, at 12:50, Joe Buck wrote:
Paper documentation is nice as well, but the way to get both, and to keep
the code and documentation consistent, is to use doxygen-style comments
and use that to generate the documentation.

Having looked at the tree-ssa documentation for a bit, I find that the doxygen generated documentation is nice in that it provides cross-references. However, I find the fill-in style of documentation useless. There is a lot of "empty" documentation, which basically rehashes all fields of a structure with their references, but without any description of what that field does. Since all semantic information is obviously present to link each identifier use in the code to its definition and all other uses, I don't see why extra markup is needed, or why the generated documentation needs so much verbosity.

The main issue right now is lack of documentation, not the
formatting of it. Especially high-level per file overviews
and full descriptions of  datastructures (including individual
fields) and a few key  properties such as conditions for data
to be valid, initialization and main use of the data (why it exists).

-Geert