GCC Release Status (2004-01-26)

GCC 3.4
=======

There are 106 regressions open against GCC 3.4, which is up slightly
from when I created the branch.  Of these, 30 are C++, 17 are
optimization, 13 are target bugs, and 13 are C.  50 of these bugs are
assigned to someone, which means that -- if people do what they have
committed to do -- we will be in pretty good shape once those get
fixed.  I have not yet begun to postpone regressions to 3.4.1/3.5; I
will do that as we get closer to the release.  The rate of new
regressions being reported against GCC 3.4 is relatively low, which
indicates that it has probably reached a relatively stable state.

The 3.4 branch was created on January 16th, and since we did a good
job stabilizing before the branch, I think it's reasonable to target
March 16th for the release, although that still means closing more
than one regression per day over that time period.

Despite the excitement over having a new Stage 1 available, I hope
that people will help with the GCC 3.4 release.  I have received
informal committments from some of the GNU/Linux distributors to help
fix bugs for GCC 3.4, and I hope that will come to pass.

GCC 3.5
=======

Last week, I organized a phone meeting of a representative subset of
the major tree-ssa consituencies.  That meeting resulted in a proposal
to merge tree-ssa into the mainline for GCC 3.5 (which might perhaps
be speleed "GCC 4.0").  I submitted that proposal to the SC.  The SC
is weighing the proposal, and I expect resolution relatively soon.

Until that resolution occurs, one way or the other, it's hard to say
much about plans for GCC 3.5.  However, I would ask that people make
an effort to coordinate major changes with the tree-ssa team; if you
think your change might cause changes all over the tree-ssa branch,
please talk to the tree-ssa team first.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC