Re: [objc-improvements-branch] About to start ObjC++

On 21 Jan, 2004, at 3.08, David Ayers wrote:

Ziemowit Laski wrote:

Hello,

This is just a friendly heads-up that the objc-improvements-branch,
previously used to integrate Apple's ObjC fixes into the mainline,
shall henceforth be used to develop the Objective-C++ front-end,
to be integrated into mailine 3.5 upon completion.

Hello Zem,

Thanks, I have a few questions which you could maybe address.

Will the objc++ frontend work with the GNU runtime?
If not, will you accept patches to the branch to make it work, even if this entails restructuring the code in general (potentially even require tweaking the NeXT/Apple runtime)?

I see absolutely no reason why the GNU runtime should be affected, since ObjC++ will be using the objc-act.c bits already in place. Irrespective of that, you are of course welcome to submit patches and/or suggestions. :-)

Are there any other platform dependencies that you are already aware of (i.e. other that the potential dependency on the Apple Runtime)?
IIRC, it was mentioned, that this is a new frontend which will make use of some of the source files (e.g. objc-act.c) in the current objc frontend. I expect that there are some tweaks needed, so we should continue testing the objc frontend of the branch, right?

It can't hurt, although any changes to objc-act.c will most likely be C++-specific (and C++-conditional), so there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Are you planing to do the merge into mainline in coherent pieces or an all-in-one merge as previously? (In which case, I would like to kindly ask you to post not only meaningful ChangeLogs, but the patches to the branch itself, please.)

OK, I'll post the diffs along with the ChangeLogs.

Also, FYI, now that mainline is open again, I'm planning to bring some of the cleanup patches and Class <Protocol> support from last year back up to date, as soon as I can spare some cycles. (It might take two or three weeks from now though.)

Sure; that would be great!

--Zem
Ziemowit Laski                 1 Infinite Loop, MS 301-2K
Mac OS X Compiler Group        Cupertino, CA USA  95014-2083
Apple Computer, Inc.           +1.408.974.6229  Fax .5477