Re: Speed/profile of gcc3.4

On Tuesday, January 20, 2004, at 04:42 AM, Richard Guenther wrote:
Also push_depth/push_by_depth could make use of __builtin_expect() and put the realloc out of line.

I don't know that would improve things much, but try it out. Maybe on a CPU with bad prediction it might help, I wasn't on such a machine as near as I could tell.

Was the use of prefetch in ggc_pop_context benchmarked?

Yes. Many runs to determine the right value, and very, very fine grained timing to be able to notice very very slight effects. ppc G4 target hardware. Of course, other CPUs may like slightly different values, but the expected improvements you could obtain should be very slight.