Re: tree-SSA and indirect references.

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:50:13AM +0100, Jan Hubicka wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 01:31:56AM +0100, Jan Hubicka wrote:
> > > vara=(type *)&varb;
> > > varc=*vara;
>
> In the case of Gerald's testcase these are different classes inherited
> from each other.

Would you please be concrete, draw the diagram and show the members?

My guess is that the best way to fix this is to change how the C++
front end implements inheritence.

At present, as you can see, the front end takes the address of the
base, casts, and then dereferences.  From the point of view of GIMPLE,
it would be much better to have this appear to be nested structures.
(The only exception will be for virtual bases, but I can see from the
above that that is not at issue for this test case.)

I have no idea how easy or difficult such a change might be.  Jason
or Mark, perhaps you could comment?

r~