Re: Documenting GCC-only ABI

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Kazu Hirata wrote:

> Less than 150 lines so far. :-) I'll post a patch to create a new web
> page then.  Would a link from readings.html be OK?

I think interface.texi (or somewhere similar in the internals manual) is
the right place to accumulate links to external ABIs that GCC implements,
saying "GCC on target X follows ABI Y, with the following ABI for GNU
extensions beyond the scope of the externally specified ABI".  Whereas
compat.texi and some information in trouble.texi discusses the
user-visible ABI issues.  readings.html links to various ABI documents but
such links are "for information" rather than stating that this document
describes the intended ABI for a given version on a given target (with
given extensions, and given variations depending on command-line options).
See the previous discussion
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-08/msg01754.html> and following thread.

(A GCC-specific ABI would of course cover the ABI for extensions of
ABI-significance, such as complex integers and structures containing VLAs,
so there the manual would only link to it without needing to add further
details.  But if you later make a deliberate change to the ABI, each
branch's manual would point to the correct version for that branch, e.g.
though a version number being explicitly included in the URL for the ABI.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm@polyomino.org.uk