Re: [RFC] Contributing tree-ssa to mainline

Hello,

IMHO, releasing a compiler (3.5?) with full
integration of tree-ssa branch would be a lot more
palatable if we had:

1) A committment by people to fix regressions/bugs as
they appear, as opposed to right at the end of the
release cycle. Until a month ago, there were only
really 3 or 4 people actively fixing regressions on
mainline which is partly the reason branching for 3.4
has been so slow.

2) A general consensus that the mainline won't simply
be abandoned once the changes get merged in. With
new-ra for instance, we now have 2 register
allocators, and it doesn't seem like we can get rid of
either in the forseeable future (wasn't there a plan
to switch fully to new-ra at some point?).

3) I don't see a particularly hurry in merging. 3.4
looks to be the most exciting GCC release in quite a
while (PCH, new C++ parser, unit-at-a-time,
improvements in PGO...), and it would be a pity if
merging diverted resources away from it.

My 2 cents (from the perspective of observer and
occasional user),

Dara