Re: [RFC] Contributing tree-ssa to mainline

On Saturday 17 January 2004 2:30 pm, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
> Other Pros:
>
> We would have a working Fortran 95 compiler.

I'd be careful making claims like this:)

My current views on the status of gfortran is as follows:

Gfortran requires much of the tree-ssa infrastructure (GENERIC, etc.), and
will probably not be merged without it.

There is a good chance it will not be a complete replcement for g77 in time
for gcc 3.5. Hopefully it will be usable as a f95 compiler, but it will most
likley still have rough edges.

It is pretty much conformant to gcc coding standards. AFAIK the only thing
we're missing is a full description of the gfortran specific compiler
options.

g77 will probably never be made to work with tree-ssa. IMHO such effort would
be better directed towards making gfortran work properly.

Paul