Re: [RFC] Contributing tree-ssa to mainline

    Tree SSA has always been very conventional.  If I had wanted to do
    research, I would have started with my Concurrent SSA work.

What I meant is that there were significant details, such as the ordering
of lowering and optimizations (which optimizations should be done at which
level) and issues such as the replacability of the RTL optimizers, that
could not be known at the start of the project and that a large part of
the project is not implementing such decisions but figuring out what they
should be using an experimental approach.

Also, there is usually significant difference between textbooks and real
life so that trying to implement algorithms from a text into a real compiler
can itself be more in the research than straightforward development arena.