Re: [RFC] Contributing tree-ssa to mainline

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 21:30, Richard Kenner wrote:

> In conventional software development (say for a game, avionics, or a linker),
> you have a specification and well-defined process for taking that
> specification and turning it into code.  You have a quite good idea when you
> start how things are going to go and there are simple metrics for seeing how
> far you are in the process.

Tree SSA has always been very conventional.  If I had wanted to do
research, I would have started with my Concurrent SSA work.

The metrics and specifications have always been documented in the
project's web page (http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/tree-ssa/).  Also, see
the papers I presented last year at Nordu2003 and GCC Summit.

I agree that some of the goals have only partially been met.  Hence my
RFC to gather feedback from the community and weigh the pros and cons of
merging into mainline at this stage.

The discussion is also useful to discuss the status of the work in
detail, as well.  As Kaveh pointed out, I failed to provide several
details that I was just taking for granted.

Diego.