Re: *** bootstrap fails for 3.4.0 20040113 (experimental) on i586-suse-linux-gnu

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 01:20:10AM -0500, dank@kegel.com wrote:
> > As some people obviously feel extremely annoyed by failure reports
> > that do not result from a gcc bug, and as it is practically not possible
> > for a build script to decide whether this is the case or not,
> > I will stop reporting these failures to gcc-testresults at all.
>
> I think your reports are great... sad to see them stop.
> BTW any chance you could still automatically report ICEs
> which explicitly tell you where to report them?  e.g.
> use a script like this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> LOGFILE=$1
> if grep -q 'ld: Please report this bug' $LOGFILE ; then
>     echo bug-binutils@gnu.org
>     exit 0
> fi
> if grep -q 'http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html' $LOGFILE ; then
>     echo gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
>     exit 0
> fi
> exit 1

Well, this technical solution would not really solve the problem.  It would
still be possible that some vendor specific patch in my binutils, a hardware
bug, or cosmic radiation might cause a failure.  And the same people would
again be annoyed.  As it is not my intention to bring some bad mood to anyone
in this group, I think it is just better to stop sending it to the list,
although I personally don't understand why people don't just ignore the report
if they see that it is not caused by gcc itself.

There is still the option to get the reports mailed personally.  You just have
to drop me a note if you want to have them.  You can have the successful test
results, the failure reports, or both.  The successful test results are still
sent to the gcc-testresults mailing list because until now no one felt annoyed
about them. ;-)

Robert

--
Robert Schiele			Tel.: +49-621-181-2517