Re: --with-sysroot newbie troubles: "ld: cannot open crt1.o"

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
I verified using strace that gcc / ld makes no attempt to search for crt1.o;
it simply tries to open it in the current directory.

That's the bug. Find out why GCC is not searching.

The following seem to be important when building a sysroot'd gcc/glibc x86 -> x86_64 cross toolchain:

1. you must configure glibc with --prefix=/usr; there seem to be several
things that rely on this as a special case.
2. $sysroot/lib/ must exist before building the final gcc, even though it is not
used, because $sysroot/lib64 is reached via $sysroot/lib/../lib64

I did those, and I now have a toolchain that can compile hello, world.
- Dan