Re: gcc 3.5 integration branch proposal

On Saturday, January 10, 2004, at 07:41 AM, Phil Edwards wrote:
No, I don't know that it's a viable solution, but I'd rather try to fix the
rules we've got than just do an end run around them. Better suggestions
solicited.

If we had 0 regressions, then we'd not have these problems. Only some of the people put in these regressions. Not being able to have a place to check in development work is bad. We want to freeze out new development work to try and encourage people to work on fixing regressions.

To me, the obvious conclusion would be to have a branch for new work that only people that don't have any regressions outstanding can check into.

Now, I don't know if that is a good idea or not, and I don't even know if it is possible due to an inability to know who caused the regression... but, I thought I'd put it out there for people to ponder.

In time, with enough feedback, as a group, I suspect people would learn to introduce fewer regressions.