Re: GCC 3.4 Release Status (2004-01-05)

>>>>> Albert Chin writes:

Albert> With AIX 5.2, is weak support "free" or does GCC need to do anything
Albert> to take advantage of it? If the latter, has GCC been modified and, if
Albert> not, are there any plans to do so?

	GCC utilize AIX support for weak symbols on systems with that
functionality.

	In regard to the G++ testsuite failures, I do not know if there is
a way to improve COMDAT support on systems without weak symbol
functionality so that it will work, but the testcases failed for GCC 3.3
as well.

Albert> Regarding the "special feature request" for earlier releases of AIX 5L
Albert> (say 5.1), would adding this to 5.1 mean that programs built on the
Albert> "modified" system would run without problems on an "unmodified"
Albert> system? If so, is the IBM support center the correct place to ask for
Albert> this "special feature request"?

	I do not know for sure, but I doubt that one can run an
application compiled with weak symbol support on a system without that
feature installed.  The IBM term for special feature is PRPQ.  I do not
know the PRPQ number for the weak symbol support feature offhand, but
either the IBM support center or your IBM customer rep should be able to
help you get it.

David