Re: SSA for Trees - PRE implementation

On Jan 8, 2004, at 2:46 PM, Sidney Bennett wrote:

From: "Daniel Berlin" <dberlin@dberlin.org>
I've recently attempted an SSA PRE implementation based on the
Kennedy, et.al. paper and met with significant difficulties.
Non-surprising :P

Daniel,
Quick question then, did you find the SSA PRE implementation any better than
the lazy code motion (LCM) and Morel-Renvoise algorithms that are already
part of GCC?

Besides the fact that they work on SSA and a completely different level?

Our existing implemenations are in the backend, working on RTL.
the SSAPRE implementation works on trees, in our middle end.

In the end, will it have been any easier to implement, will it
be any faster or produce better code?

Certainly not easier to implement, but it should produce faster and better code.
The straight line strength reduction i'm working on will also improve code.

 I guess the real question is ... Do
you see it eventually replacing the either existing PRE pass?

Not unless we don't produce any partially redundant expressions in the backend.

Sid