Re: When to emit C++ debug info?

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 03:12:11AM -0800, Geoff Keating wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 02:36:06 -0600 (CST)
> > From: Chris Lattner <sabre@nondot.org>

> > > The design you quoted at the top was directed at the first alternative.
> >
> > Ah, I see: Sorry!  But isn't this basically what already exists?
>
> I think so; but this thread is proposing to change what's there now,
> isn't it?

I think that my point is, in the absence of something like symbol
separation implemented for dwarf2, the current status quo is not
adequate.

It sounds like Ben agrees with me and you don't - you said a dozen
messages back that you thought distributors should provide debug
information for libraries.  I can tell you for a fact that that will
never happen.  A lot of vendors provide binary-only C++ libraries with
a C++ interface.  People in the business of providing code without its
source generally don't want to include debugging information, so GCC
needs to be able to provide useful results for this case.

I think that the bloat in .o files will be less than you're assuming.
This is a different set of information than that used by the current
suppress-unused-debug-info code.  I guess I'll have to implement it and
measure.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz