Re: Removing -frwitable-strings

 Joe> The answer, I think, is for the compiler never to assume that
 Joe> there is such a thing as a string constant....

I'm wondering whether it's worth while to spend any energy on this.
Perhaps I'm naive -- but I remember writable string literals from
Fortran-2 where they were universally recognized as a language design
error, which could produce bizarre program misbehavior.  As a result,
I think of any program that depends on writable string literals as
being defective.

So, what's wrong with removing the flag (with a one version lag via
depreciation, if desired -- though I would not push for that) and
letting people fix the bugs that are hidden by this flag, instead?

	paul