Re: New target ported

Pablo Huerta wrote:
I write to you, because our team have ported gcc 3.4 to a new platform (OpenRISC 1000), and we want to ask you if it will be possible to include it in the next official release.

There is already a gcc port available from http://www.opencores.org. According to comments in it, it was written by Damjan Lampret in 1999. Does your port have anything to do with that, or is this an independent second port? If we have two ports, then there may be a political disagreement over which is the right one for us to accept.

We need copyright assignments from everyone who contributed to the port. If they are all university staff or students, and the university claims all IP created by staff and students, then a single copyright assignment from the university may be suficient. This needs to be discussed with the FSF. You can start the process by sending mail to assignments@gnu.org. Since this involves lawyers, this can at times be a long drawn out process.

The port needs to follow GNU and GCC coding conventions. There is some documentation for this on our web site. The port will have to be reviewed, and perhaps modified in response to comments. Someone will have to maintain the port. Getting the port reviewed and accepted may take some time.

If the port just drops in, and does not require any change to machine independent code, then there would be a chance of getting it into the next release, gcc-3.4. However, if you need changes to machine independent code, then this may be a problem, as we are (in theory) closed to new features in preparation for the next release. The gcc-3.4 release branch is tentatively scheduled to be created in the next few weeks. So the port might have to be held until the next release after that.

A gcc port won't be very useful with a binutils port first, as there will be no way to test it. Also, simulators and gdb ports are useful. I know that there is a binutils port on the opencores.org site, but I don't know if you are using it.